Between the 6 and the 27 May, the Gozo Regional Development Authority (GRDA) launched a public consultation process on the Gozo Rural Airfield. You may access the response to this consultation by the Gozo Business Chamber through the following link.
As indicated in the website of the Gozo Regional Development Authority “Ministry for Gozo, as the proponent of the project, will be embarking on this infrastructural project to upgrade the existing Gozo Heliport in Ta’ Lambert, Xewkija. The objectives of the project are to:
- Continue addressing Gozo’s double insularity by adding additional avenue of accessibility;
- Attract foreign investment, diversify the economy and create job opportunities;
- Promote Gozo as a distinct destination and attract quality tourism;
- Provide additional inter-island connectivity service and connect Gozo directly with other regions, and
- Leverage on the availability of European Structural and Investment Funds.
The project envisages the extension of the existing runway (which is currently 174m long) by a further 271-metres, to reach a total length of 445-metres (by 20-metres wide), including a safety area of 30-metres on each side (at each end) of the airstrip.”
The relative consultation documents can be accessed here:
- Gozo Airfield Impact Statement
- Gozo Airfield FAQs
- Gozo Airfield Project Description Report
- Gozo Airfield Avifauna Study
- Gozo Airfield CBA Publication
The consultation closed on the 27 May 2022.