On Monday 5th April, the Gozo Business Chamber conducted its second webinar for 2021: ‘The Brexit Impact on Business’. The webinar discussed the ‘Trade and Cooperation Agreement’, and the practical impact of Brexit on areas such as Customs and VAT.
The webinar was organised in collaboration with the Europe Direct Information Centre – Victoria Gozo, and Bank of Valletta.
The Gozo Business Chamber continuously organises information seminars for businesses on important topics and current themes that directly impact businesses. This webinar generated substantial interest given the traditional strong liaison between the two countries, with the participants raising questions and issues also on non-business areas such as access to social services by UK residents. Other topics that arose during the webinar included also the impact of Brexit on the acquisition by UK citizens of property in the Maltese islands.
Key note speakers included Kenneth Farrugia (Chief Retail Banking Officer – BOV), Leandro Borg (Head Policy Coordination IMCP/EP/External), Joseph Sammut and Frank Borg (from the Office of the Commissioner for Revenue); and Alan Mamo, Director Compliance and Systems (Customs Department).
The webinar was also addressed by Joseph Borg, President of the Gozo Business Chamber. Daniel Borg, CEO of the Chamber, chaired the webinar.
This webinar was supported by the Ministry for Gozo NGO Assistance Scheme, a funding programme for Voluntary Organisations on the island of Gozo.
You can download the presentations and interventions from the following links:
- Daniel Borg, CEO GBC – Introductory and Concluding remarks.
- Joseph Borg, President GBC – Introductory remarks.
- Kenneth Farrugia, Chief Retail Banking Officer – BOV, Brexit and its effect on the National Economy
- Joseph Sammut, Office of the Commissioner for Revenue – Brexit – VAT Treatment of Goods and Services
- Alan Mamo, Director Compliance and Systems (Customs Department) – Adjusting to Brexit – the New Challenges – Tariffs and Rules of Origin
The webinar can be viewed here.