In this section one can find information regarding several schemes which offer a number of incentives specifically related to Gozitan based enterprises. Not all the incentives may apply to your business. Moreover, this section is not intended to provide comprehensive information about each scheme. It is thus suggested to follow the links, read the respective guidelines, and contact the respective entities for further information.
Some incentives which are run by the Malta Enterprise are tweaked to cater for that extra support for business entities which are based in Gozo. Below are some incentives that are formulated to cater in a more advantageous way for Gozitan based enterprises:
- Investment Aid Tax Credit – This applies to knowledge intensive business services which is a qualifying economic activity under this scheme. Eligible undertakings that are awarded tax credits for investing in the provision of this activity may only claim any accumulated tax credits in relation to this investment if the number of full time equivalent employment in Malta for the year in review is at least equal to thirty (30) FTEs. When part of the activity is based in Gozo, any FTE job stationed in Gozo will be counted as one point five (1.5) FTEs. More information on this scheme can be accessed here.
- Micro Invest – through this scheme, Malta Enterprise approves a tax credit equivalent to 45% of eligible expenditure. An additional bonus of 20% (that is a total of 65% tax credit) applies to undertakings operating from Gozo. The maximum eligible tax credit per single undertaking is generally capped at €50,000. This capping is increased to €70,000 for undertakings operating from Gozo. More information on this scheme can be accessed here.
- Gozo Transport Grant Scheme – This measure supports manufacturing undertakings operating from Gozo by reducing the additional interisland transport cost incurred for transporting materials, goods and finished products between Malta and Gozo. This assistance serves to reduce the cost-disadvantages for manufacturers based in Gozo, rendering these businesses in a better position to compete effectively within the single market. More information on this scheme can be accessed here.
Ministry for Gozo
A number of specific incentives for Gozo-based enterprises are also offered by the Ministry for Gozo. These are:
- Gozo Employment Refund Scheme – through this scheme the government refunds up to €6,000 over a 3 year period for any new employee that is hired by the organisation given that this is established in Gozo. Complete applications must be submitted by the 31st of December 2020, and recruitment must take place by the same date. The scheme has re-opened its timeframe of application from 2018, the year of its inception. This means that those employers who have recruited employees since 2018, however, did not apply for the scheme, or were turned-downed due to expired timeframes, shall be eligible to apply on those same employees. Two main conditions must be adhered to in this case: the employee in concern is to still be employed with the same employer (uninterruptedly); and the employee must be provided a minimum three-year contract if not yet already provided. The scheme’s remaining terms and conditions and guidelines must remain adhered to in their entirety. These applications will be treated as 2020 applicants, and hence no reimbursements in retrospective will be made. The grant offers a maximum refund of €6,000 over the spread of three years. Applications remain open till 31/12/2020. Click the following link for more information on this scheme: Gozo Employment Refund Scheme.
- Gozo Business Relocation Scheme – basically, this scheme supports companies based in Malta or abroad, that partially or fully relocate their enterprise to Gozo. Through this scheme aid is granted to business operators in the form of a partial reimbursement to expenses incurred on the (a) relocation of business related equipment and material; and (b) a financial grant serving as an establishment package relieving the operator from expenses relating to ‘starting-up functions’ in Gozo. Applications must be submitted by the 25th September 2020. More information on this scheme can be accessed here.
- Gozo Back Office Work Refund scheme – this scheme will provide aid to Employers, in the form of partial reimbursement of salaries for full-time work, on a minimum three-year contract in (a) either of newly employed staff as from 1st January 2020, carrying out back office operations based in Gozo or (b) staff already employed with the undertaking but, as from 1st January 2020, carrying out back office operations based in Gozo. Qualifying for eligibility under this scheme does not exclude the beneficiary company to apply for other incentives administered by the Ministry for Gozo (mainly the Gozo Employment Refund Scheme, and the Gozo Business Relocation Scheme), as long as the new application does not refer to the same employee. Interested applicants should apply by not later than the 31st December 2020. For more information please click here.
- MICE (Meetings, Incentives, Conferences and Events) in Gozo Scheme – The Beneficiary must either be an entity considered as a Voluntary Sector Organization or a Private Business entity that undertakes a project to restore and upgrade their venue facilities to enhance their capabilities of hosting qualitative MICE activities. These shall be entitled to financial grants subject to meeting the criteria set by these Guidance Notes. Complete applications must be submitted by 23rd October 2020 while documentation submission shall be by 20th November 2020. Any exceptions made for applications submitted afterwards will be at the discretion of the Ministry based on the entity of the investment. More information on this scheme can be accessed here.
- Gozo Telework Scheme – this scheme will provide aid to employers, based and registered in Malta, to offer their Gozitan resident employees the facility to work from home should their job-related tasks be equally fulfilled. The scheme is demand driven. Aid will be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, subject to the annual ceiling and total budget. Complete applications must be submitted by the 25th September 2020. A maximum grant of €10,000, in the form of a salary refund, shall be spread over a 3-year period. The Employer shall be also eligible to a partial financial reimbursement related to the Technological and Capital investment made. This is a one-time payment, offered for each employee eligible to benefit from this scheme. More information on this scheme can be accessed here.
- Supporting Business Entities to attend and participate in International Information and Technology Related Events 2020 – This scheme supports digital media enterprises based in Gozo to attend one international internet / digital media technology related event per year. Financial support covers: (a) economy class air fare ticket; (b) registration costs / participation fees; and up (c) to the maximum of the 60% of the standard subsistence allowance cost to cover for bed and breakfast accomodation. More information on this scheme can be accessed here.
The scheme for this year has now closed.
- Supporting Marketing Initiatives for Specific Niche Markets in Gozo. This initiative covers eligible expenditure for advertising in publications/ social media / on-line / television targeted to a foreign audience and where Gozo is clearly communicated as a holiday destination and/or participation in international fairs/events abroad with the objective of promoting Gozo as a holiday destination. More information on this scheme can be accessed here . The scheme for this year has now closed.
Disclaimer: This information is based on the Gozo Business Chamber’s research and awareness on the subject matter. The Gozo Business Chamber does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability and accuracy of the information presented here. It is suggested that you access the link presented next to each scheme, and to contact the respective entity prior to undertaking any action, so as to ascertain the eligibility of your business entity for particular refunds under each scheme.